Forum

How to open 2017 QB...

Notifications
Clear all

How to open 2017 QB Desktop file in 2018 Desktop Pro  

RSS

(@jennafer)
31/08/2020 7:55 pm  

A potential client gave me access to his Google docs and where his 2017 Quickbooks files are kept. I can't figure out what or how to open any of these files. The files end with either .qbw, .qbw.ND, .qbw.TLG. Is it possible to open any of these files with my 2018 Desktop Pro? If yes, how? 

Thanks!

(@casey-4)
31/08/2020 11:07 pm  

You have to have the same year version, to open a QB file.  The .qbw is the "working" file, and should not be used in the cloud, unless he just copied it there for you to grab.  You also have to download his file to your computer, then restore it.....BUT, if you restore his 2017 file to your 2018 program you will not be able to return it to him to continue working.  Either you will have to find the 2017 version, which is not likely to find, or he will have to upgrade to 2018, also not likely to find, or you will have to work remotely or on-site. 

IF he is accessing the .qbw file on his computer, from the google docs, advise him not to!  It will corrupt the file, sooner or later, and then it is more difficult to fix.  He can keep a back up file in the cloud.  Since the .ND and .TLG files are also in google, it sounds like he is accessing the working file from the cloud.  Not a good idea!  

Hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
(@casey-4)
31/08/2020 11:11 pm  

P.S.  It sounds like you may be in over your head a bit.  I would advise you to become a QuickBooks ProAdvisor.  You will get all the education about the file types, what is compatible and what isn't, as well as the Accountant's Version of QB.  

Once you become certified, you will get your name in the "find an expert" data base.  

It is well worth the funds, for all you get.

ReplyQuote
 Jennafer Thorpe
(@Jennafer Thorpe)
01/09/2020 7:58 pm  

Thanks Casey for your feedback. I've been looking for the ProAdvisor program on Intuit and haven't had any luck until today.

ReplyQuote
(@pistle)
21/09/2020 5:10 am  

You can try these steps as follows-

1. Sign in to your company file as the Admin.
  2. Make sure you are in Single User mode.
  3. From the QuickBooks File menu, select Utilities > Import > IIF Files.
  4. Locate your . IIF file and highlight it then select Open.
  5. Select OK on the pop up message confirming your data has been imported.

I hope this will be helpful

Best Regards

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
MENU