Forum

Laundry for Massage...

Notifications
Clear all

Laundry for Massage Therapist  

(@layli)
Topic starter  

I have a new client who is a massage therapist and washes all the sheets, towels, etc for the business at home.  What is the best way for this client to recoup the cost of running the washer & dryer at home for business purposes.  This client has an office outside the home, does not conduct business in the home and buys detergent & fabric softener for the business which is kept separate from the detergent used for personal laundry.

This topic was modified 1 month ago by Layli

Topic Tags
 Dennis+Fazio
(@Dennis Fazio)

I'm not a tax expert, but I think the IRS will usually allow deductibility if there is a logical and reasonable calculation of the cost, sufficient documentation, and the business use can be clearly separated from personal use. If such a deduction is allowed, and the tax experts can weigh in here, and if you can calculate the cost of an individual load, which provides personal vs business separation, you should be able to figure your total cost for laundry.

A method to do so is illustrated here:

https://lula.life/cost-of-doing-laundry

You can substitute local costs and other variations if desired, but this provides a pretty good methodology for getting your cost. The total annual cost will likely turn out to be several hundred dollars, depending on number of loads. The client would have to determine if that's worth adding into their tax return.

ReplyQuote
(@layli)
Topic starter  

Thank you for the post, this is a good starting point!

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
MENU