Forum

Do non-profits need...

Notifications
Clear all

Do non-profits need yearly audits?  

RSS

(@luann-2)
17/06/2020 10:29 am  

I work for an Association with a couple of non-profit companies and the question was recently asked of "do we need to do yearly audits or can they be changed to every two years"?  We are currently doing yearly audits in which the CPA will do the tax returns at the same time. Due to the recent pandemic situation we are wondering about the cost savings of switching and if it is possible to change to biennial audits?

Thank you,

Luann

Topic Tags
(@jennafer)
17/06/2020 11:32 am  

It depends. The bylaws might require an audit every year. Also if you bring in more than two million a year, it might trigger an audit. Check with your bylaws and CPA. 

Luann liked
ReplyQuote
(@luann-2)
17/06/2020 11:41 am  

@jennafer thank you so much. I will check those places mentioned.

ReplyQuote
 Casey Stokes
(@Casey Stokes)
17/06/2020 1:55 pm  

I agree with Jenafer.  I have 3 NP's and we don't do annual audit for any of them.  

Luann liked
ReplyQuote
(@luann-2)
17/06/2020 2:44 pm  

@Casey Stokes thank you for that confirmation 

ReplyQuote
 Lorin Browning
(@Lorin Browning)
18/06/2020 5:10 pm  

If you are required to have or desire to have an audit that attests the financials are presented according to GAAP, I would have the tax returns done first.  So doing will in a sense provide assurances that the CPA knows what he or she is doing. 

I don't mind telling a CPA to fix the return he or she prepared before submitting the financials with return to the auditor.  I don't mind posing questions to the auditor about how certain elements in the audit report. 

I've discovered over the years that not all auditors understand how to treat Restricted Net Assets. And many tax practitioners don't know either since IRS does not require tax returns to be prepared in conformity with GAAP.  See Part X of form 990 where IRS asks if the organization if it uses net assets or fund balances.  Fund balances makes financials non-GAAP compliant since around 1993.  Look up FASB ASC 958 to see the differences.

To get a better answer to your initial question, ask some of the local funding agencies about your particular situation.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
MENU