Notifications
Clear all

QuickBooks Online vs QB Desktop  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

Don
(@don)
01/01/2020 9:13 pm  

My understanding is that there is a QB Desktop Accountant's Edition that requires just a one time purchase and can last up to 3 years before you have to pay the fee again so that the payroll function continues to work.  Is that correct?

I'd rather do that than pay a $450 a year annual subscription fee for the online version.

I'm about ready to start a new bookkeeping and tax business and am looking at the software right now. It's rare, if ever, that I need to consult with QB employees for anything. There are QB forums I use as a resource if I don't know how to do something in QB.

Your comments are appreciated.

(@casey-4)
01/01/2020 10:36 pm  

Yes, there is the Accountant's version of QuickBooks Desktop, but the payroll subscription is separate, and you will have to pay for that each year, no matter what version you are using.  Best bank for your buck, is to become a ProAdvisor, and bundle that with your Payroll subscription.

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
02/01/2020 11:16 am  

Thanks for your reply, Casey.  Yes, I'm aware I have to pay for Payroll monthly.  However, it's the annual payment of $450 I don't see as necessary, but just additional revenue for Intuit.  That way Intuit gets paid $1,350 over 3 years instead of a one time payment of $499 for 3 years. I am not interested in enriching Intuit stockholders at my expense. No, thank you.  

My understanding is that if I opt for the one time payment of $499 that after 3 years that certain functions within  QB will no longer work.  Like the updates to the tax tables?  So, even if I am paying monthly for the payroll service that after 3 years I would have to upgrade the QB version I am using to a more current version.  That's a lot less expensive than spending $450 a year.

I'll think about the Proadviser program after passing the AIPB certification.  One thing at a time. 

This post was modified 7 months ago by Don

ReplyQuote
(@casey-4)
02/01/2020 12:53 pm  

Yes, you can purchase the QB Version of your choice, for a one-time fee, and yes, it is good for 3 years.

ReplyQuote
(@adriang001)
03/01/2020 8:31 am  

Although QuickBooks application is the most popular accounting software across the globe, both of these options have their own set of advantages and drawbacks. Choosing the right accounting platform is a critical decision for any business as the whole financial workflow depends on it. Features of QuickBooks would be similar in both cases, but let us take a look at the available options for a better understanding.

QuickBooks Desktop is the featured product by Intuit. The application contains all the advanced attributes that make the application the most used by accounting professionals. The only drawback is that the software runs locally.

QuickBooks Online, as the name suggests, is the website version of the software that can be accessed through the internet. But it lacks a few features that may be required by some.

The best option here is QuickBooks Cloud Hosting, that gives all features of the desktop version but can also be accessed through the internet on any device and at any point of time. Hosting also adds multiple benefits through the best quickbooks cloud hosting service provider, thus making it the most efficient option available. Learn more about QuickBooks versions and QuickBooks Online vs Desktop.

This post was modified 7 months ago by AdrianG001

ReplyQuote
(@casey-4)
03/01/2020 1:38 pm  

You may also need to take costs into the decision.  While hosting has it's benefits, it can also be expensive.

Kimberly liked
ReplyQuote
 Don
(@Don)
04/01/2020 10:19 pm  
Posted by: @adriang001

The only drawback is that the software runs locally.

Thanks for your input. So, with the desktop version I can't work with a client's software (QB) on their computer remotely from my office? Is that what you are saying?

What I'd prefer is  a version where I can go into a client's books from my office and make adjustments as needed, rather than have to travel to their office to do that or be required to get a copy of their books on CD and have to go back to my  office to make the adjustments, save that new file to a CD, then travel back to their office with the new file and reload into their QB.  However the cost of the ability of remote access is a factor starting out. Later on hopefully it won't be much of a factor, if at all.

Does QB Online enable you to handle inventory transactions and do cost accounting like QB Desktop? My concern about the Online version is not just the cost but also the lack of capability vs the Desktop version.

With some client's I expect that they will have no bookkeeper inhouse but will rely totally on me to keep their books. In that scenario there is no need for a hosting service.

In other situations I expect a company will have an inhouse person to manage QB to some extent, but will rely on me to make adjustments to their books. 

I haven't talked to Intuit yet about the ability to remotely access clients' QB on their computers, but it appears there is something called "Quickbooks Remote Access" for either $3.95 per month for just QB or $7.75 per month for full Desktop Access. It looks like this would allow the client to transfer their QB file to me without the necessity of me picking up a CD from them.  That might work in the short term until I build up a client base that would support the cost of virtual hosting.

Thanks for the input. It gives me things I hadn't considered to talk about with a QB rep.

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
04/01/2020 10:28 pm  
Posted by: @adriang001

The only drawback is that the software runs locally.

Thanks for your input. So, with the desktop version I can't work with a client's software (QB) on their computer remotely from my office? Is that what you are saying?

What I'd prefer is  a version where I can go into a client's books from my office and make adjustments as needed, rather than have to travel to their office to do that or be required to get a copy of their books on CD and have to go back to my  office to make the adjustments, save that new file to a CD, then travel back to their office with the new file and reload into their QB.  However the cost of the ability of remote access is a factor starting out. Later on hopefully it won't be much of a factor, if at all.

Does QB Online enable you to handle inventory transactions and do cost accounting like QB Desktop? My concern about the Online version is not just the cost but also the lack of capability vs the Desktop version.

With some client's I expect that they will have no bookkeeper inhouse but will rely totally on me to keep their books. In that scenario there is no need for a hosting service.

In other situations I expect a company will have an inhouse person to manage QB to some extent, but will rely on me to make adjustments to their books. 

I haven't talked to Intuit yet about the ability to remotely access clients' QB on their computers, but it appears there is something called "Quickbooks Remote Access" for either $3.95 per month for just QB or $7.75 per month for full Desktop Access. It looks like this would allow the client to transfer their QB file to me without the necessity of me picking up a CD from them.  That might work in the short term until I build up a client base that would support the cost of virtual hosting.

Thanks for the input. It gives me things I hadn't considered to talk about with a QB rep.

ReplyQuote
(@casey-4)
05/01/2020 1:41 pm  

I believe QB used to have some sort of way to access a client's books remotely, but have no idea if it is still an option.  Best way is with a remote software, such as Splashtop, TeamViewer, Logmein, etc.  Other way is to have client send you a portable file via email, dropbox, or other cloud service.  Keep in mind, you will need to have the same year version of QB, that they do, in order to open their file, do work, then return it to them, using the same method.

I dislike QB online, for many reasons, so i can't truly answer those questions, but from my understanding, job costing is still a long way from what desktop is.

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@Don)
06/01/2020 1:04 am  
Posted by: @casey-4

Keep in mind, you will need to have the same year version of QB, that they do, in order to open their file, do work, then return it to them, using the same method.

So, QB 2020 Accountant Desktop version is not the only software I'll need?  Oh nooooooooooo!   Well, that's for clients who have an in house bookkeeper of some sort. I'll take it one client at a time.  I anticipate picking up very small businesses who don't have a bookkeeper, but relying on just me to book their transactions. Getting a new client means steady monthly revenue, which funds a purchase of another version of QB, if needed. Thanks for the info.

The remote software seems very expensive. I think I'll pass on it for now. Paying $4 a month for QB remote access seems a lot more practical.  I'll figure it out after talking to Intuit.

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
06/01/2020 1:08 am  

@casey-4

Keep in mind, you will need to have the same year version of QB, that they do, in order to open their file, do work, then return it to them, using the same method.

So, QB 2020 Accountant Desktop version is not the only software I'll need? Oh nooooooooooo! Well, that's for clients who have an in house bookkeeper of some sort. I'll take it one client at a time. I anticipate picking up very small businesses who don't have a bookkeeper, but relying on just me to book their transactions. Getting a new client means steady monthly revenue, which funds a purchase of another version of QB, if needed. Thanks for the info.

The remote software seems very expensive. I think I'll pass on it for now. Paying $4 a month for QB remote access seems a lot more practical. I'll figure it out after talking to Intuit.

ReplyQuote
(@casey-4)
06/01/2020 1:39 pm  

That is correct.  If a client wants to do some of the work and uses a different year version, you will need the same year version.  This is why the ProAdvisor program works well....you will get the latest version every year, and you can keep multiple versions installed on your computer.

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
06/01/2020 1:49 pm  

This is why the ProAdvisor program works well....you will get the latest version every year, and you can keep multiple versions installed on your computer.

Does a ProAdvisor get each new version release free of charge?  If so, what are the benefits to Intuit? Is there an annual cost for being a ProAdvisor?

ReplyQuote
(@casey-4)
06/01/2020 2:06 pm  

There is an annual cost to be a ProAdvisor.  just some of the benefits are training for you and for your clients.  Become certified in at least 2 or 3 years of QB, and you will be listed in the "Find a ProAdvirsor" database, where clients who need help can find you via your zip code.  https://quickbooks.intuit.com/accountants/proadvisor/?cid=ppc_G_e_US_.QBOA_US_GGL_Brand_Core_Exact_Search_Desktop._intuit%20proadvisor_txt&gclid=CjwKCAiA0svwBRBhEiwAHqKjFqkFXjxX2cFRTT68Yhh1wg8r4QKqc0If6Z0pcvzC4viOqYsYhdpwMhoCK2IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds  

ReplyQuote
 Don
(@don)
06/01/2020 2:19 pm  

@casey-4

I don't like QBO.  It's too limited.  I view it as just a revenue generator for Intuit but wasn't devised for the customer's benefit. I take a dim view of it honestly.  So, no ProAdvisor for me.  My purpose in starting my business is to bring in income for my family, but at the same time to serve my client's as best I can. I can't in clear conscience advise them to buy QBO in most cases.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2

Leave a reply

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
MENU