Forum

Duplicate Customer ...

Notifications
Clear all

Duplicate Customer Payment sitting in AR  

(@seidah)
Topic starter  

Hi, 

Going thru a client's AR and there are duplicate customer payments from prior years and the client is unsure how this was occurred. How would I go about offsetting this duplicate payment? I was thinking a credit memo and then applying to the duplicate payment.

(@casey-4)

Yes, doing a credit memo is fine....be sure you do the CM in a current, or not Closed year.  You don't want to change the numbers for a closed period.

ReplyQuote
(@seidah)
Topic starter  

The credit memo didn't work like I thought. I don't want to the numbers for that closed period to be changed but I do need to have this duplicate customer payment removed. Is deleting the only option?

ReplyQuote
(@casey-4)

Maybe we don't have enough information.  What software are you using?  If you are using QuickBooks, you will enter the CM, then you have to connect the payment to the CM.  You enter the CM to the current or un closed period.  That leave the overpayment in the closed period, but ultimately removes the overpayment in a later period.  Do not Delete the overpayment, that will change the closed period.  This CM will not change the prior closed, period, but will ultimately correct the overpayment.

Why do you say it didn't work like you thought?

ReplyQuote
(@seidah)
Topic starter  

I figured it out, thanks for suggestions.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
MENU