Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Studying for the Certification-Need recommendations  

RSS

(@rebecca-18)
07/01/2020 11:14 pm  

Hello! Maybe this question has been asked before but I couldn't find it. I just bought the books for the Certified BK course, but there is no clear order to the books. Is there a recommended order to study the books for the certification? Are there study groups on the forums? Or is it just ask questions on the forum if you get stuck? Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-You!

Topic Tags
(@casey-4)
08/01/2020 1:57 am  

You can study them in any order you want.  Study, study, study, until you can answer the questions in the without hesitation!  Then, study just a bit more!  Pay attention as to how the questions are asked.  that will be the key to passing the exams.

ReplyQuote
 Rachel
(@Rachel)
08/01/2020 9:52 am  

My suggestion is to make copies of the quizzes if you can and take them that way, to keep your book clean.  I have found that writing in my book has been a major distraction when I go back through them.  I made flash cards out of all of the questions I missed on each quiz and drilled myself before taking the exam.  

A study group is a great idea! I think people just post questions here.

ReplyQuote
(@rebecca-18)
08/01/2020 10:20 am  

Thank you for your recommendations! I appreciate it. 

ReplyQuote
 Sonya G
(@Sonya G)
19/01/2020 3:56 pm  

Hello!

It could be helpful to study the books according to the test.

There are 2 test that are split into 2 sections each. (These test are given at the testing center)

The 1st test contains the following sections:

1. Mastering Adjusting Entries (Which is the 1st thing to know) (Purple Book)
  2. Mastering Correction of Accounting Errors (Which is the 2nd thing to know) (Red Book)

The 2nd test contains the following sections:

1. Mastering Payroll (Blue Book)
  2. Mastering Depreciation (Green Book)

There are 2 test that are at home test.

1. Mastering Internal Controls and Fraud Prevention (Black Book)
  2. Mastering Inventory (Grey Book)

You can study in whatever order you like, but the test are in the orders listed above. Although the test have their set sections you can take your test in whatever order you like. Meaning: you can take payroll and depreciation before you take mastering entries and errors. You could also take the at home test before you go to the testing center.

If you need additional help you could order AIPB's book: Mastering Double-Entry Bookkeeping (Light Blue Book.) It's about understating debits and credits. It is a good foundational book before reading adjusting entries. It's for people like me who still struggled with debits and credits and needed to go all the way back to basics. It could also just be a good refresher book. 

I hope this helps!

Sonya 

ReplyQuote
 Rebecca
(@Rebecca)
14/02/2020 8:26 am  

@Sonya G

Thank you for this outline! That is very helpful and I really appreciate it!

Rebecca 

ReplyQuote
(@manali-jain)
27/02/2020 2:39 pm  

@Sonya G

Hi Sonya,

Thank you for the outline!

I bought the entire set of books and would like to know, if this is sufficient enough to prepare for certified bookkeeping test.

Do we need to check for any online material or some other references on Bookkeeping?

Suggestions are welcomed

Manali

ReplyQuote
(@casey-4)
28/02/2020 4:54 pm  

Everything you need to know to become a Certified Bookkeeper are in those books, so you should be good to go.

ReplyQuote
(@sonya)
01/03/2020 1:22 am  

@Rebecca

No problem, Rebecca! I'm really happy the post helped! 

Sonya 

ReplyQuote
(@sonya)
01/03/2020 1:50 am  

@manali-jain

Hello Manali,

Because AIPB are the administrators/ facilitators of the Certificated Bookkeeper test, I believe that their books will provide you with all the information you need to pass their test. 

To answer your question: No you will not need to check for any online material or some other references on Bookkeeping, unless you feel that you need additional understanding.

Without knowing your prior bookkeeping knowledge I can only give board suggestions. 

1. If you struggle with double-entry bookkeeping and do not completely understand debits and credits, AIPB's light blue book: Mastering Double-Entry Bookkeeping maybe the book for you. (It provided me with the foundation I needed to move on to the other books in the AIPB bookkeeping series.)
  2. I would study and take the test in the areas I'm strongest in. (This will allow you to get comfortable and familiar with the test and once you pass your confidence will be boosted 🙂 
  3. I just found this YouTube channel and it's been helpful! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYJLdSmyKoXCbnd-pklMn5Q/playlists https://www.youtube.com/user/mattfisher64/playlists
  4. Read online blogs and find other free online bookkeeping testing sites if needed 

I would lastly say that I agree with the things stated by Casey and Rachel in previous post.

Best Wishes!

Sonya 

ReplyQuote
(@manali-jain)
01/03/2020 9:31 am  

Thank you Sonia and casey!

I am sure, the link you shared will be an added advantage in my preparation.

ReplyQuote
 Rachel
(@Rachel)
02/03/2020 9:06 am  

@sonya

Thank you Sonya for the youtube links. I also used the Accounting Stuff videos while studying, I enjoyed his tools to remember some of the basics.  I have not seen the Mattfisher64 videos so I look forward to finding some helpful tips there.  I have to retake the Payroll Section and Mastering Correction Errors. 

ReplyQuote
 Adriana
(@Adriana)
21/10/2020 4:00 pm  

Hi, I bought a Mastering Adjusting Entry book on eBay, and the Final Examination pre-Test at the end of the book had the answers marked.

I checked and compare the answers with other online resources, mainly https://www.chegg.com/flashcards/untitled-flashcard-9cc51c8b-85a1-41cc-9401-2a0b19f61082/deck and I found a difference in answer to question 50: "If the company estimates that it will be not able to collect...".I think the answer is a.- $3200 and the answer selected in the book is d.- $0.

Also, I checked for example 3 given on page 79 (AIPB Mastering Adjusting Entry book), which is quite the same, and I am sure the answer is a.- $3200. 

If the correct answer is not a.- $3200, could anybody help me to understand why?

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
MENU