Join now and receive 3 exclusive reports FREE:
- Post returned checks
- Withhold from car allowances
- Know when to take, or refuse, a prompt-payment discount
- Record checks made out to cash
- Prove expenses if canceled checks are lost
- Correct W-2 errors the easy way
- Prepare internal income statements
- Set up successful collection calls
Plus: Often overlooked overtime pay rules under the new law.
- Who must be paid overtime
- There is no overtime pay for these hours
- Include these payments in overtime pay computations
- Do paid days off count as hours worked?
- When you can use comp time
Put key changes at your fingertips:
- Change #3: Wnat those travel deductions? Prepare to prove your “tax home.”
- Change #7: IRS scrutinizes electronic accounting—they are after these JEs.
- Change #11: Now the same worker can be both employee and IC: here’s how.
- Changes #15: New IRS test for employee v. IC—the old test is out.
- Change #17: Heads up on new IRS payroll tax audits.
- Changes #18: Hidden dangers in family-firm compensation.
- Change #9: Employee ID protection can be tax-free.
- Change #20: How to handle name/SSN mismatches.
How to protect yourself
- if you sign company checks
- if you withhold taxes on paychecks
- against liability for company loans
- against liability for company notes
- against liability for retirement plans
- against inadvertent disclosure
How to protect your company or client
- 9 easy ways to prevent bad check losses
- 5 ways to protect company bank accounts and other cash
- 12 policies that prevent fraud
- 15 signs that employees are stealing